Director, Research Outreach and Compliance
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
SRA International acknowledges individuals who inspire others and serve as role models in research administration and management. Let’s come together to recognize this year’s SRAI award winners and newly inducted Distinguished Faculty members. Award winners will be acknowledged on Tuesday, October 30 from 8:00 – 9:15 AM in the General Session, Northern B-D during the 2018 SRAI Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL.
Newly Inducted Distinguished Faculty
SRA International Distinguished Faculty members serve the Society as expert consultants and speakers who develop and present educational and professional development programs or serve as program review consultants. They serve universities, hospitals, not-for-profit research organizations, industry, and government research laboratories in many capacities. These may include, but are not limited to, instructing for-credit educational courses or programs; consulting to conduct external, periodic and professional reviews of research administration organization, capacity and processes; and mentors to individual members or institutional units.
- Domenica G. Pappas, Director, Sponsored Research & Programs, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Kevin Titus, Business Director, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Martha (Fran) Stephens, Director, Pre-Award Services, University of Oklahoma
2017-2018 Outstanding Concurrent Session & Webinar Award
The Outstanding Concurrent Session Award recognizes the best concurrent sessions presented at the 2017 SRAI Annual Meeting, held in Vancouver. This is a “people’s choice” award based on the 2017 SRAI Annual Meeting session evaluation results.
Angela (Sherman) Behrend, Manager of Sponsored Projects Administration, University of Virginia | This award is given for the concurrent session: Understanding the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Peer Review Process for Administrators.
The Outstanding Webinar Award recognizes the best webinar presented throughout 2017-2018. This is a “people’s choice” award based on webinar evaluation results.
Jason Guilbeault, Director of Post Award Services, Augusta University (formerly Georgia Regents University). This award is given for the webinar: Breaking Down the Subrecipient Monitoring Process at Your Institution.
The Herbert B. Chermside Award for Distinguished Contribution to Research Administration
The Herbert H. Chermside award is given to showcase distinguished contributions in the development of research administration as a profession. The contributions may be in the form of publications in management and research administration journals; speeches concerning research administration before major organizations; service on committees or agencies which have had a direct and positive impact upon research administration, or any other activity which has contributed to the development of research administration as a profession. Nominations for the award are solicited from leaders in colleges and universities, industry, government and the SRA International membership. The nominee must have been involved in research administration for at least 15 years.
Marjorie P. Piechowski, PhD, Emerita Director of Research Support, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Named in honor of the Society’s first two presidents, Ken Hartford and Richard Nicholsen, the Hartford-Nicholsen Award was established to recognize SRA International members who have contributed their professional expertise and volunteered services over the years which have benefited the entire Society.
- Tonya K. Edvalson, Clinical Research Compliance Officer, University of Utah
- Gina Hedberg, Executive Director, Office of Sponsored Projects Administration, University of South Alabama
- Tim Linker, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Administration, North Carolina A&T State University
The Excellence Award was established in 1977 in honor of the Society’s 10th anniversary. The award recognizes SRAI members, organized by level of experience: newcomers, mid-career and advanced, who have excelled in meeting SRAI’s purpose of expanding the knowledge and tools of research administration.
- Advanced Professional
- William F. Hoffman, Jr., Research Department Administrator, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Mid-career Professional
- Nathan L. Vanderford, PhD, Faculty, Research Administrator, University of Kentucky
Technology Innovation and Application Award
The Technology Innovation and Application Award was created in 2010 to showcase an individual or organization whose use of technology has promoted or advanced research administration.
Linda Gamman, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Communication, University of Washington
John Robinson Travel Award
The John Robinson Travel Award provides funding for an early-career (five years or less in the profession) SRA International member to speak at the SRA International Annual Meeting. Through this program, SRA wishes to acknowledge an endowment from John Robinson to honor his contributions to SRA by encouraging and increasing the active participation of current SRA members in the conference. The SRA International Annual Meeting provides opportunities for professional development and networking, while the Robinson Travel Award will expand the involvement of members in the conference agenda.
Karen Bone, Grant Coordinator, Florida Atlantic University Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute
Journal of Research Administration
Rod Rose Award
The Rod Rose Award is presented annually to the authors of the article judged by the Associate Editors as the most outstanding contribution to that year’s volume of The Journal of Research Administration.
- Rebecca Namenek Brouwer, Director, Research Initiatives, Duke University
- Terry Ainsworth, Director, Operations and Study Conduct, Duke University
- Christine Deeter, Operations Coordinator, Duke University
- Heather Gaudaur, Project Manager, Human Resources, Duke University
- Betsy Hames, Associate Dean and Chief Human Resources Officer, Duke University
- Deborah Hannah, Research Practice Manager, Duke University
- Tara McKellar, Research Practices Manager, Duke University
- Catherine Mullen, Director, Clinical Research Financial Management, Duke University
- Denise C.Snyder, Associate Dean for Clinical Research, Duke University
This award is given for their article, Using Competencies to Transform Clinical Research Job Classifications that was featured in the Fall 2018 issue of the Journal.
Most Valuable Editor (MVE)
The Journal of Research Administration is piloting a new award, Most Valuable Editor (MVE). The award was established to recognize, encourage and reward volunteers who demonstrate exemplary service. This year the award is presented to the Author Fellowship Program subcommittee of the JRA.
Tim Linker, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Administration, North Carolina A&T State University
Have Something to Share in Kudos Korner?
If you would like to share your story – please see the criteria below with some examples of noteworthy items of interest to the SRA International community that could be submitted to The Kudos Korner:
- Recently published papers (e.g., articles, chapters, books, etc.)
- Presentations (e.g., posters, sessions, workshops, video, web, etc.)
- Professional Awards and Prizes (e.g., grants, contracts, honorary prizes/awards)
- Recently earned degrees or professional accreditation (e.g., CRA, CIP, etc.)
- Other honors (e.g., promotions, contest winners, organizational citations/recognition)
- Transitions (e.g., new jobs, homes, family, retirement)
Please note that we will try and publish as many submissions as possible each month, but SRA International reserves the right to delay publication for future use or to edit and/or omit at its discretion.
Send requests for more information and all submissions via email to Debra Schaller-Demers at email@example.com. We will make all attempts to confirm receipt of your submission and inform you of acceptance for publication. Please use this wording in the Subject Line of your email: SRA Kudos
Be sure to include the following information:
- Name (First, Last)
- Email and phone number if we need more information
- Geographic Location (City, State, Country)
- SRAI Member Since _________ (YYYY)
- A separately attached headshot jpg file
- Description of your honor/accomplishment (limited to 500 words)