Authored by Amy Cuhel-Schuckers, CRA
Franklin & Marshall College
The Editorial Board of the Journal of Research Administration is pleased to announce the start of Cohort 3 of the Author Fellowship Program on January 15, 2019 – eight C3 Fellows were selected, six from among the Society of Research Administrators International (SRAI) members, and two from the Association of Research Managers and Administrators (ARMA) in the UK. The goal of the JRA Author Fellowship Program is to increase the confidence, capacity, and willingness of research administrators to serve the field and share their expertise as peer-reviewed journal authors. Each prospective author (Fellow) is paired with a published Peer Advisor for a six-month fellowship.
Cohort 3 Fellows comprise:
- Erin Bailey, MS, CRA (Chief Financial Officer, University at Buffalo Clinical and Translational Science Institute, USA)
- Cate Caldwell, PhD (Director of Sponsored Programs and Research Activities, University of Detroit Mercy, USA)
- Deborah Clark, MS (Research Officer, Central Michigan University, USA)
- Kay Cunningham, PhD (Research Support Manager, University of Sheffield, UK)
- Rachel Goff-Albritton, PhD (Research Development and Training Specialist, Florida State University)
- Rommany Jenkins, PhD (EU & International Research Funding Officer, University of Birmingham, UK)
- Shanta Layton, BS (Director of Research Administration, Spectrum Health/Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, USA)
- Winona Ward, MRA, CRA (Director of the Office of Sponsored Research, University of California San Francisco, USA)
The Peer Advisor assigned to each Fellow will be named in the following Catalyst edition.
We have already begun to see the success of the Author Fellowship Program (AFP) with the publication in the Fall 2018 edition (Volume XLIX, Number 2) of the JRA of Angela Silva’s article titled Research Administration Organizations: Results from an Investigation into the Five Disciplines. Angela was a 2017 Fellow in the inaugural Cohort of the AFP, and was advised by Alicen Nickson who currently is the Director of Research & Enterprise at Royal Holloway (University of London, UK). Several other articles from Cohort 1 and Cohort 2 Fellows are in preparation or under review.
With Cohort 3, committee members supporting the Author Fellowship Program are piloting a number of support structures for Fellows and other prospective authors. One example is a set of webinars that are under development by Peer Advisor Cliff Studman, Honorary Professor of Research at St. John’s University of Tanzania, who is also a JRA Editorial Board Member and an SRAI Distinguished Faculty Member. Cliff has worked with Fellows from Cohorts 1 and 2 and will continue as a Peer Advisor with Cohort 3. A second pilot was a guided book study by Amy Cuhel-Schuckers, Director of Faculty Grants and Compliance Resourcing at Franklin & Marshall College and a JRA Editorial Board member, for a research administrator interested in developing a published literature review; see the accompanying reflection by Rachel Goff-Albritton, PhD, who will also be a Cohort 3 Fellow.
Author Fellowship Program Committee
Amy Cuhel-Schuckers, Chair (Franklin & Marshall College; JRA Editorial Board)
Deborah B. Derrick (University of Nebraska, Omaha; JRA Editorial Board)
Carson Harrod (Praedicare Laboratories; JRA Editorial Board)
Simon Kerridge (University of Kent; ARMA Board of Directors)