Authored by Debra Schaller-Demers, MSOM
Senior Director, Research Outreach and Compliance
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK)
Adjunct Lecturer, CUNY, School for Professional Studies
SRA International members rock! As research management and administration professionals, they never stop improving, learning, achieving, or earning new heights of success. We love sharing good news and offering a well-deserved slap on the back for recent personal and/or professional achievement. In keeping with that sentiment, please join with us as we congratulate Dean O. Smith for his latest book publication, In University Finances!
SRA International is a professional networking community of learners. One way to gain knowledge and expertise is to share our stories of successful achievements with our peers and colleagues. Often research managers/administrators are cast in the role of promoting, supporting and applauding others. While this may be gratifying in many respects, it is also healthy to have pride in one’s own accomplishments. Kudos Korner offers SRA International members a wonderful and respectful venue for sharing and “bragging.”
Dean O. Smith, PhD
University of Hawaii
SRAI Distinguished Faculty
SRAI member since 2011
During his 38 years as a professor, Dean O. Smith has served in the higher administration of four major universities: The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Texas Tech University, the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and the University of Hawaii, where he is now professor emeritus. He has authored 135 scientific publications and three books on university administration, Managing the Research University, Understanding Authority in Higher Education, and his latest book: University Finances: Accounting and Budgeting Principles for Higher Education, which was published this March by Johns Hopkins University Press. He is an SRAI Distinguished Faculty Member and the 2018 recipient of the Research Management Excellence Award from the Canadian Association of Research Administrators (CARA).
About the book according to the publisher, In University Finances by a higher education expert Dean O. Smith:
- demystifies basic accounting procedures, budgets, debt financing, and financial statements.
- explores more unusual financial topics, such as methods for calculating fringe benefit rates, bond refunding costs, and indirect cost allocations.
- shows that the use of university wealth is highly restricted by donors, bondholders, government regulators, and others.
- answer nuanced questions, like "How are USDA formula funds calculated?" and "Why does the university pursue more and more research funding when it loses money on every grant?"
- illustrates financial calculations using realistic examples. Some of these explanations are unavailable in print or online to anyone but a handful of professional accountants.
Rigorous, detailed, and wide-ranging, University Finances is a unique and powerful resource.”
Have Something to Share in Kudos Korner?
If you would like to share your story – please see the criteria below with some examples of noteworthy items of interest to the SRA International community that could be submitted to The Kudos Korner:
- Recently published papers (e.g., articles, chapters, books, etc.)
- Presentations (e.g., posters, sessions, workshops, video, web, etc.)
- Professional Awards and Prizes (e.g., grants, contracts, honorary prizes/awards)
- Recently earned degrees or professional accreditation (e.g., CRA, CIP, etc.)
- Other honors (e.g., promotions, contest winners, organizational citations/recognition)
- Transitions (e.g., new jobs, homes, family, retirement)
- Please note that we will try and publish as many submissions as possible each month, but SRA International reserves the right to delay publication for future use or to edit and/or omit at its discretion.
Send requests for more information and all submissions via email to Debra Schaller-Demers at email@example.com (link sends e-mail). We will make all attempts to confirm receipt of your submission and inform you of acceptance for publication. Please use this wording in the Subject Line of your email: SRAI Kudos
Be sure to include the following information:
- Name (First, Last)
- Email and phone number if we need more information
- Geographic Location (City, State, Country)
- SRAI Member Since _________ (YYYY)
- A separately attached headshot jpg file
- Description of your honor/accomplishment (limited to 500 words)